Family Law Relocation of Children 

Relocation of Children

Our Okaloosa County Child Custody Attorneys Can Help

Life is rarely static following a divorce. Sometimes one spouse will remarry while another one finds a new, better paying job and moves away. However, this becomes significantly more complicated when children are involved. Even if one parent has sole custody of the child, the other parent still likely has court-ordered visitation rights. If the custodial parent tries to move with the child a particular distance away from the other parent, the custodial parent could be charged with kidnapping.

If you’re a parent hoping to move with your child, or you’re a parent who doesn’t want your kid to move too far away to visit, our Okaloosa County child custody attorneys can help. Chesser & Barr, P.A. has years of experience assisting parents in negotiation after a divorce. Let us see what we can do for you.

Get started on your case by calling us at (850) 610-7471 today!

Florida Law

Florida statutes describe “relocation” as a change in the location that’s more than 50 miles from the last residence. This law doesn’t apply to short vacations or trips but only applies when a child moves and stays elsewhere for at least 60 consecutive days.

To move, the parent who wishes to relocate must obtain a written agreement from the other parent or serve a Petition to Relocate to the other parent, giving him or her 20 days to object to the move. The parent who doesn’t wish their child to move should respond within 20 days, specifying the specific factual basis supporting the reasons for seeking prohibition for the relocation.

Ultimately, the Florida court will rule in favor of whatever is in the child’s best interest. The initial burden to prove the relocation is in the child’s best interest rests on the parent who wishes to relocate. Once a person presents evidence in favor of the move, the burden will shift to the other parent.

Talk to Us About Your Case Today

Whether you’re hoping to relocate or hoping to prevent your child from leaving the area, our skilled Okaloosa County family law attorneys can represent you in court. We understand you may be under a lot of stress, which is why we will do our best to make this process as stress-free as possible. Let us protect your child’s best interests and help you meet your legal goals.

Contact us at (850) 610-7471 or fill out our online form to schedule a case consultation with us today.


  • Our Promise

    We make sure you don't lose sleep- you have our permission to leave your worries at the door.

  • Our Delivery

    We represent clients in various levels of court and focus on obtaining a favorable outcome.

  • Our Execution

    We prepare every case thoroughly and diligently to ensure the most cost-conscious results.

  • Our Focus

    We help clients stay centered on practical solutions while offering superior legal representation.

  • Our Service

    We help people navigate difficult situations so they have a caring, diligent advocate.

  • Our Approach

    We approach problems reasonably and with a mindset of achieving an effective and efficient resolution.