D. Michael Chesser
Providing Quality Legal Service to Businesses & Residents of Okaloosa County
Attorney Mike Chesser represents local business interests in organizing,
managing, and controlling their internal and external legal relationships.
He has served as attorney to the Town of Shalimar since 1974, and as attorney
to the Eglin Federal Credit Union since 1974.
Mr. Chesser has worked with many local governments as consultant, lawyer,
and adviser in land use and housing issues. Mike served as First Lieutenant
in the United States Army Artillery. He owns Old South Land Title with
a co-shareholder and The Bayou Book Company with his wife, Carolyn.
Learn how our Okaloosa County attorney can help you or your business.
Contact Chesser & Barr, P.A. online to learn more.
A Reputation for Knowledgeable Service
Mr. Chesser has personally handled
more than 50 appeals and many jury and non-jury trials. He teaches classes for realtors, lawyers,
and members of the general public on real estate and business issues.
He writes a monthly article on real estate issues for both the
Destin Log and the
Northwest Florida Daily News.
Mike Chesser has served on the Board of Directors of Vanguard Bank and
Trust Company, and on its Finance Committee from 1994 through 2009, and
was general counsel to the bank until its consolidation with Coastal Bank
and Trust in 2009. Mike has represented the county commissions of numerous
counties in their Supervisor of Elections offices regarding all aspects
of local and state elections in Florida.
Certified legal specialties:
- Florida Bar Board Certified, Real Estate Law, 1995
- City, County and Local Government Law, Florida Bar, 2014
- Florida, 1972
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1975
- U.S. Tax Court, 1976
University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- B.A. – 1969
- Major: Psychology
- One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back, Fla. Municipal Magazine, 1985
- Express Open-End Lending Documents, Eglin Federal Credit Union, Warren
Gorham & Lamont, 1980 -1985, 1980
- Shalimar Zoning and Land Use Control, 1976
- Okaloosa County Multi-Family Housing Code, 1986
- Real Estate Short Sales in Florida, Attorney Title Insurance Co., 2008
- Numerous articles on legal issues, 2000
Europco v. Smith, 572 So.2d 963 (1st Dist. Ct. of Appeals 1990)
White-Wilson v. Data Consultants, 486 So.2d 659 (1st Dist. Ct. of Appeals 1986)
Classes and seminars:
- Real Estate Principals & Practices, North Florida College, 1974 – 1990
- Business Law, University of West Florida, 1990 – 1994
- Labor Law, University of West Florida, 1994
- Florida Condominium/Motel Management, University of Miami, 1998
- Florida Real Estate Short Sales, Attorney Title Insurance Fund, 2008
- Many Real Estate Topics, Okaloosa County Association of Realtors, 2000 – Present
- Class Action Representation for Credit Unions, Credit Union National Association, 2000
Professional associations and memberships:
- Okaloosa-Walton Bar Association, past President, Member since 1992
Past employment positions:
- City of Fort Walton Beach, City Attorney
- Town of Shalimar, General Counsel
- Eglin Federal Credit Union, General Counsel
- Vanguard Bank & Trust Company, General Counsel
- Supervisor of Elections in Okaloosa County, General Counsel, 1988
- US Army, Battery Commander
- Coastal Bank & Trust Company, Director
Pro bono activities:
- Fla. Bar Referred Cases Representing
- Indigent Mortgage Foreclosure Defendants
- Numerous Churches and Non-Profit Organization, 1972 – Present
- Small Business Owner, 1980 – Present
- Title Insurance, 1984 – Present
Schedule your initial consultation at Chesser & Barr, P.A. today.