Is My Landlord Responsible for Repairs?

Renting a property can leave some things ambiguous as to whether your landlord is responsible for repairing broken or malfunctioning appliances or other parts of your home.

If you are living in a rental property, repairs are typically the responsibility of the landlord. There are times, however, when the cost of a repair could fall on you. There should be details in your lease that determine what is covered for repairs.

If you have a repair issue and cannot work it out with your landlord, you should talk to an attorney with experience in real estate law. Only a real estate attorney can help you understand the ins and outs of property management law.

Major Repair Issues

If a major repair arises in the rental property, the landlord is often responsible. There are times when a number of major repairs may be needed for things such as busted pipes, broken air conditioning units or furnaces, or even electrical problems. Repairs like this affect the tenant's livability.

Repairs that may affect the tenant's health, safety, and welfare must be taken care of by the landlord. You have a right to live in a home that is habitable. Anything else could mean that the landlord is in violation of the lease.

Minor Issues

Even minor repairs can be the responsibility of the landlord. In most cases, the tenant can often tend to them. If there is an issue with a stopped up sink or toilet, a bit of drain opener and a plunger may fix the problem. If your carpet becomes stained, or if there is some slight mold around the toilet, that is something you may also be able to take care of.

However, there are some minor issues that may want to keep the landlord abreast of so that they don't grow into bigger concerns.

When Do You Have to Pay?

If you are responsible for something that happens in the home due to negligence or abuse, you may be required to pay. As a renter, you do have certain responsibilities. If you break out a window or start a fire while cooking, those types of repairs are on you.

When you live in a rental property, it is your job to take reasonable care of the property. Check your rental agreement for more information. An experienced property management attorney can help you understand the nuances of your agreement.

Homeowners Insurance

If you have renters insurance, it may pay for accidents you are responsible for. You may have to pay a deductible, but at least the repairs will be covered. Depending on the state, rental properties require tenants to carry renter's insurance in case of accidents.

However, if you have issues with your landlord regarding repairs, contact a lawyer experienced in property management law. The can help you with issues regarding real estate law. Having a conflict with your landlord is not healthy. Sometimes misunderstandings can go very badly. If you are having a dispute, never take the law into your own hands. Trust the advice of a real estate attorney.

Contact Chesser & Barr, P.A. at (850) 610-7471 to discuss your case today.