Family Law Divorce FAQ 

Divorce Attorneys in Okaloosa County

Get the Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about the divorce process? You’re not alone. Many people who are facing the possibility of going through this process often find themselves confused and intimidated and don’t know where to begin. Whenever you feel overwhelmed your first step should be to turn to an Okaloosa County divorce attorney from Chesser & Barr, P.A., where our team has the experience and skill you need on your side to help you obtain a satisfying resolution to your case.

Frequently Asked Divorce Questions

How long will my divorce take?
The answer to this question will depend entirely on the path your divorce takes and how willing and capable you and your spouse are to work with each other. An uncontested divorce can take as little as about a month, but a contested case can take six months or longer depending on how much you have to take to trial.

Do I have to prove my spouse is at fault?
Florida does take fault into consideration in divorce cases, but neither spouse is required to prove any sort of fault in order to pursue a divorce. So long as one spouse states that the marriage is “irretrievably broken,” the case will be allowed to proceed.

Will I have to pay alimony?
This answer depends entirely on the circumstances of your divorce. Judges use a long list of factors to determine if alimony is appropriate, and if so, how much to award. Generally, younger couples without children and with good employment prospects are less likely to have alimony awarded, but an older couple where one spouse has been out of the workforce for many years will be very likely to receive an alimony award.

Who will get custody of our children?
When determining what kind of child custody order to give, the court will consider the ability of both spouses to raise their children, and make the decision based on their children’s best interests. If both spouses are capable of raising their children in a positive, growth-encouraging environment, then it’s very likely that both spouses will be awarded joint custody.

What is the first step in the process?
In order to begin filing your divorce, you will be required to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, which outlines claims for things like child support, custody, alimony, and property division. However, before this step, you should have an attorney on your side to help you ensure you navigate the process without any errors or issues that could potentially jeopardize your case.

Don’t see the answer to your question on this page? Don’t hesitate to contact Chasser & Barr, P.A. at (850) 610-7471 to get the information you need today!


  • Our Promise

    We make sure you don't lose sleep- you have our permission to leave your worries at the door.

  • Our Delivery

    We represent clients in various levels of court and focus on obtaining a favorable outcome.

  • Our Execution

    We prepare every case thoroughly and diligently to ensure the most cost-conscious results.

  • Our Focus

    We help clients stay centered on practical solutions while offering superior legal representation.

  • Our Service

    We help people navigate difficult situations so they have a caring, diligent advocate.

  • Our Approach

    We approach problems reasonably and with a mindset of achieving an effective and efficient resolution.