OF COUNSEL OKALOOSA COUNTY ATTORNEY
Mr. Petersen has worked as a police officer, deputy sheriff, firefighter (urban and forest), and Assistant State Attorney. He was in Underwater Demolition II and Seal Team One with three tours in Vietnam.
Mr. Petersen has completed 13 capital criminal cases (death penalty cases), and well over 100 felony jury and judge trials. He has extensive experience in felony and misdemeanor representation.
Mr. Petersen is a Child Support Enforcement Hearing Officer for Okaloosa and Walton Counties, Florida, a position he has held since 2004.
Board certified legal specialties:
- Criminal Law, Supreme Court of Florida
- Florida, 1977
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1978
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1981
- Nova University Center for the Study of Law, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho
Past employment positions:
- Pocatello Police Department Idaho, Patrolman, 1971 – 1972
- Bannock County Sheriff’s Department, Idaho, Deputy Sheriff, 1972 – 1974
- State Attorney’s Office, Okaloosa County, Assistant State Attorney, 1977 – 1979
Pro bono activities:
- Okaloosa/Walton Bar Association – Pro Bono Award, 1993